Thursday, March 19, 2009

Training for the one time you might need it..

Today, I volunteered as a CPR facilitator for the Singapore Heart Foundation as they are having a course at my alma mater, Victoria Junior College. Even though it is the March holidays, the school was packed with students from various CCAs, training for their upcoming season. My eyes darted for the soccer boys; it was an unspoken form of identity, and memories of myself doing the same thing as them years back flooded into my mind.

I saw my coach, Mr Tan, and chatted awhile with him. Through him and Alex (the current VJC soccer captain), I gathered that the season was only 11 days away. The soccer boys already had all their heads shaved and the battle to reclaim the title begins..VJC has always been the favourites, and I am pretty sure that Mr Tan has prepared his team well for the challenges to come in the next 2 months.

Mr James Ho, my GP tutor, was also around. I held a brief conversation with him due to me needing to carry out my duty. The CPR session that the students went through today was different from that which I went through last year to be a certified first aider. This is called CPR 3A where the 3As refer to Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere. There were quite a few steps left out but the general skeleton was there. I guess the rationale was that some CPR is better than no CPR.

Anyways, I had a great time facilitating and helping the students out when they needed assistance. This session was made possible through Mr Tan who made sure that every sport CCA in VJC was down today. It was good contributing back in whatever little way I can to a school which nurtured me into who I am today.

1 comment:

Hidayat said...

Hey Norman!

This is Hidayat from Singapore Heart Foundation. Glad that you enjoyed the experience of facilitating the CPR 3A Programme. We hope you can continue to be our facilitator for the upcoming programmes. =)