Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Ethics..

I've just returned to my bunk in PGP from the Singapore Medical Association Ethics Convention 2008. The topic of the forum is "Compensation or Incentives for Donors in Organ Transplants: Possibilities & Pitfalls"

It was an eye opening forum for me - seeing so many professionals gathered in a place to discuss about an issue and sharing their points and opinions. Some big shots were Dr Thomas Murray, President and CEO of The Hastings Center, from the United States and Professor Jeremy Chapman, President of The Transplantation Society, from Australia. The rest of the panel were made up of our local professors, doctors and legal advisor. It was cool to see some of my ethics lecturers in the panel! The discussion was very enriching and it dawned upon me that ethics was an important area that I have to deal with when I graduate. The new and improved curriculum that we are undergoing now as medical students includes ethics, and I think that it is very good! =]

I decided to attend this forum as recently we (year 1 medical students) just had a lecture and tutorial discussion on organ donation and trading. I thought it was cool to check this forum out as the Health Minister is in the midst of trying to implement some new law that might affect me in the future as a doctor. I am not sure if I was the only year 1 medical student there, but I sure did not see any other fellow classmates. =] Anyhow, I had quite an enlightening experience, and I look forward to more of such forums! =]

No comments:

Latest Post

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

9th April, my second day in Johannesburg. I decided to explore the neighbourhood by running to the nearby Neighbourhood Square  which was ab...

Most Read