Saturday, January 17, 2009

Another step forward

Today, I had my time-trial at Sentosa with the NUS Aquathlon team. It was not the usual 1.5km swim and 10km run. This time, it was half the distance - 800m swim and 5km run. Mentally, I was not really prepared for the time-trial (as usual), but deep down inside I knew that God will somehow pull me through this ordeal like He always does.

My problem is the swim. Swimming in the sea as compared to the pool is a whole new ball game. Visibility is low, coupled with navigation and the vast space, it spells trouble for me all the time. However, thanks to the many trainings that we had in Sentosa, I slowly got used to swimming in the open waters.

I am now feeling more comfortable in the sea as compared to the past. No longer does my heart beat radically fast when my body touches the cold sea water; my strokes are also more relaxed. Today, I did a 35mins 58secs time-trial. I was disappointed with my swim time, and felt the need to talk to someone about it. However, I kept it inside, only expressing the tip of the iceberg to boss Aldrich.

I felt that no matter what advice anyone gives, ultimately it boils down to whether or not I do it. Whether or not I want it that bad to give my heart and soul and energy into this. I looked back at all my swim trainings and remembered the many times when I had no strength left in both my arms to propel my body through the water, when my head ached due to the lack of oxygen going to my brain and when my legs burn with lactic acid during the kick sets - I could do better, maybe push a little bit more, summoning every bit of strength that is still in me instead of just giving up and taking a break. There is a thin line between over-pushing and going over your limit. The latter is what I have to focus on.

I am going to try and do better, work harder in the pool during trainings. I have to go through hell, only then will I know that I will be the one standing in the end.

Now, it's time to study. =]

No comments:

Latest Post

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

9th April, my second day in Johannesburg. I decided to explore the neighbourhood by running to the nearby Neighbourhood Square  which was ab...

Most Read