Thursday, January 29, 2009

Nothing but a full gazelle..

The gazelle grazed on the large grassland, totally oblivious to its predator lurking behind bushes, behind large rocks, blending in with the terrain. The wolf laid low and observed; patience was the name of the game. It will strike only when the belly of the gazelle is full and taut because it was only then that it could catch up with its swift prey. The wolf waited, no matter how long it took, it will only strike when the timing was right.

Today, I felt like that gazelle. It has been 2 weeks since I've last felt accomplished after completing the intervals on the track. Today, I waited with anticipation for the 10 x 1km interval training. I wanted to complete the training with 4mins on each lap. I knew I could do it, but something went wrong again.

1630hrs: I had my late late lunch of pork ribs noodles. It was a bad mistake as I learned later during my 6th lap. I almost regurgitated my meal onto the track! Until then, my timing has been on target, going below 4mins on the first 2 laps and hitting 4mins on the next 4. I decided to rest a set to let my stomach settle.

The 7th and 8th set saw my condition worsen. A wolf, when running away from hunters will stop to regurgitate its meal before speeding off again. Pride and survival. That was what set them apart. They will rather run to the ground, coughing up blood and subsequently die than get captured and skinned for their pelts by the hunters. Pride and survival.

I rested again and decided to complete my last 2 laps. However, after my 9th lap with a timing of 4mins 03secs, I felt the food coming up again. This was when I decided to call it a day. It was not how I envisioned my interval training to be like. I've always looked forward to run trainings because it gave me an avenue to run away from everything in this world, even if it is for just 2hrs; I was free...

Like how night is to the wolf, running has always held a special place in my heart. I know what my target is, and I will be patient, lying in the bushes, striking and peaking at the right moment. I will be a smart gazelle, speeding off into the grassland.

n/b: Inspired from Jiang Rong's Wolf Totem

No comments:

Latest Post

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

9th April, my second day in Johannesburg. I decided to explore the neighbourhood by running to the nearby Neighbourhood Square  which was ab...

Most Read