Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Thanks for believing in me more than I do!

Today at the pool, I was still reeling from the effects of Monday's training. During the pulling set, I could barely feel my arms propelling me further, faster. After 1 set of 4 x 200m pulling, I joined the other group doing the 4 x 150m pull. I took the extra time over there to work on my strokes whilst pulling. I put into action what Zhiyun said about being streamlined in the water. It was pretty fruitful.

After the kicking sets, I decided that today was going to be a 'light work out day' for me, so I remained in the lane which had to do 2 sets of 8 x 50m sprints. My usual lane was doing 8 x 50m, 6 x 50m, 4 x 50m and lastly 2 x 50m sprints. However, my plan was not to be. Coach identified me in the mass of human beings and got me to rejoin my group. I reluctantly did.

Coach was right, I was wrong; Coach 1 - Norman 0. I completed the sets, managing to keep up with the group until the last 50m of the 2 x 50m sprint. It was during those sprints that I realised that sometimes you don't really believe in the things you can do. Yesterday was an example too - after completing 10 x 400m with an average timing of 82s, we had to complete another 2.4km. I thought I would just die, and that doing a 10min timing was going to be really hard. It was Zhiyun this time scoring the goal; Zhiyun 1 - Norman 0. I competed the 2.4km in 9mins 16secs.

Being in Aquathlon has really taught me many many things that will see me through life. It is like a family here.. and the father will be boss Aldrich who has always encouraged me and given me sound advice, you're the best Captain! =]

It is good that tomorrow is a rest day for the sprint distance time-trial on Friday. My target will be 34mins, I hope I reach it..

3 comments:

zy_ said...

hey just to share.

for me, to work on my stroke, i'll go easy(ier) on the pulling set. because for pulling if you do a bad stroke it really reinforces the wrong muscle memory and because if you slow down your frequency but pull well and hard and make each pull count, you should still roughly keep the set, on good days maybe even be faster. for the swimming sets i usually go fast while trying to remember what i did during the pulling.

but of course you lose some muscular trg there so it give and take. i usually do this until i feel comfortable and strong and when that happens I stop holding back(trying to do that now)and just go hard on all the set.

it worked for me both during swimming and thi biathlon season and helped me improve a lot. not sure if it's the best thing for you now but just sharing(:

and i'm aiming for 34min too. but my run is cmi so i don't know if i can. haha. jiayou(:

josh said...

hey norms! you have a great training spirit that i really wanna learn from you!

glad you're having a blast in the team! though i dun think aldrich would be flattered being labelled the father of the aqua family... haha!

Norman Lin said...

Thanks Josh! There's also loads for me to learn from you too! =] Discipline would be one important aspect. =] I think the people in aquathlon rocks la!

Latest Post

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

9th April, my second day in Johannesburg. I decided to explore the neighbourhood by running to the nearby Neighbourhood Square  which was ab...

Most Read