Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Project Lokun

I'm back from my Medical mission trip to Cambodia! There were so many things waiting to be done the moment I touched down. Sometimes I wonder whether I could really cut myself loose from the things of this world and just live the life. This reflection helped me wrap up the experiences I had from this trip.

I realised that I was gettting closer to my desired outlook on life the moment my plane cruised along the runway in Changi International Airport. For once in my life, I did not feel the onslaught of emotions that I usually get. I felt neutral. I was not THAT happy to be back home, but neither was I unhappy. Neutral. That was the most apt description.

Anna was a spanish architect whom I had great pleasure of making friends with on this trip. She, I believe, was someone placed in my life to guide me in my journey through life. Recounting a book I read long ago by Mitch Albom entitled "The Five People You Meet in Heaven", it beautifully elucidates that all lives are connected to each other, directly or indirectly, and whether we realize it or not. I could not agree more on this concept! Anyways, Anna had been in Cambodia for 5 months already, aiding the people there by building houses. Her next stop will be Australia. Watching her face glow whenever she describes her experiences in different parts of the world, something within me resonated with her, begging to be able to identify similar encounters.

I feel that most people (myself included) are too afraid to step out of their comfort zone to step into something that is uncertain. We tend to make sure that everything is planned before taking that first step. Where is the faith?

On the 5th day of my project, we conducted health education and clinics at Kampong Luon floating village. Our team split into 2 groups, one conducting health education at the floating church's school and the other group running the clinic at the community's health centre. After 4 days of doing health education, screening and clinics in schools around CROAP, this was a new experience. Helping at the floating village set me thinking about a lot of things. It made me question things that I thought I always had the answers for. This was good, it provides me with an opportunity to be grounded in foundation once again. Also, I feel that this allows me to grow; when you stop asking questions, that is when you stop growing.

I also had the priviledge to experience 'house moving' in the floating village. The floating church and school I was on was towed out into deeper waters when the tide dropped too low. According to the locals, this 'house moving' is done whenever the waters get too shallow. Other than allowing houses to float on them, the water in the Tonle Sap lake is also used for bathing, cooking, washing, waste disposal, playing and for catching the fishes that live in them. It came as no surprise to me that the bowls I used during lunch was washed by the same water which I had pee-ed into minutes ago.

Lastly, I did not allow myself to bring any luxury items (facial wipes, mp3 player, etc) on this trip. All I had was my handphone which was used in the case of emergency when we need to contact one another and a tube of SAF insect repellent. I did not feel at all lacking without those things. In fact, I felt free, so carefree. It was an amazing feeling.

Through this trip, I made 2 more Cambodian friends, Chhong Mao and Sinath. They were very friendly and hospitable. They are people that I will hold dear to and keep in contact with. I might return to Cambodia prior to my Ironman in Switzerland next year for the same project to work alongside them again.

I believe that this project benefitted me more than it did for the Cambodians. There was only so much we can do to help them as students compared to help rendered by a doctor. However, I hope and pray that this experience will catapult me further into the unknown where real faith is needed. God use me.

No comments:

Latest Post

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

9th April, my second day in Johannesburg. I decided to explore the neighbourhood by running to the nearby Neighbourhood Square  which was ab...

Most Read