Saturday, December 13, 2008

This is so damn sick!

"...I will prescribe regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and never do harm to anyone..." - line from the Hippocratic Oath

Would a doctor:

1. Ask if you wanted to re-attach your middle finger or your ring finger after telling you how much it will cost to re-attach each finger?
2. Ask if you have money or insurance premiums before treating you of your disesase or relieving you of your pain?
3. Refuse to treat you or your loved ones if you of they are not covered with insurance?
4. Refuse to treat you or your loved ones if you or they have no money?
5. Dump you at some NGO (non-government organisation) hospital if you had no money to pay for your treatment?
6. Charge you US$120 for a medicine that costs US$0.05 elsewhere?

Well, apparently the answer to all the questions posted above is an astonishing "YES" in the United States of America. The man in 1. could only afford to have his ring finger attached, and it was because he wanted to still have his wedding band on. 2 ladies in 2. have to watch their loved ones (1 husband and 1 child) die because doctors refuse to treat them as they have no insurance premiums. Many people in 5. were thrown into a cab and driven to NGO hospitals, some still having their IV catheter in their hands or were in semi-healed state.

This really blew my mind after watching Michael Moore's Sicko. I seriously cannot comprehend why these doctors do what they do. Even a normal civilian would stop to help someone in need, what more a doctor? Someone who is called to serve, someone with a higher calling, someone whom others see as a hope. I am utterly thankful and blessed to call Singapore my home...

“No Singaporean will be denied needed healthcare because of lack of funds” - PM Goh

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

henceforth, obama!

Norman Lin said...

=] yea! I sure hope he does something about things over there..

Latest Post

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

9th April, my second day in Johannesburg. I decided to explore the neighbourhood by running to the nearby Neighbourhood Square  which was ab...

Most Read