Saturday, May 16, 2009

Good day

Today, I sent my sister off in the morning as she is going to attend summer school at UC Berkeley for 2 months. In doing so, I missed Sentosa training with the team and the early morning run with Nicolas. My plan for the day was to go on an easy 80km ride to get myself ready for what is to come next week when I resume my micro-cycles. I started my ride at 10.24am.

Prior to that, I checked the weather forecast and it was all clear =] The ride started out really good, I felt really fresh even though the last time I cycled it was 40km (heavy rain) 11days ago. I planned to cruise through training today for there was a 38km run waiting for me the next day. The 38km run was Coach David and his friends' training programme, but he asked me along =]

Knowing clearly I was going to die tomorrow, I wanted to ensure that I live today. However, after 2 loops of coastal, I felt really good; hence I went for another round. This will take my mileage up to 110km..The deciding factor to turn insane came went Nicolas called me to indicate that he was not going to turn up for the 38km tomorrow. This set me thinking...

So far, my run mileage has been a consistent 21km. A 38km run will be a huge jump for an increment! Hence, I decided that I will do a 16-20km run tomorrow, and another 26km run on Monday morning (my micro-cycle starts with a morning run on Mondays). If I did the 38km, I think it will leave me dead for at least a week, destroying my training programme. Therefore, I decided to go for it, a full 180km mileage for bike today.

I completed the 3rd and 4th loop in good time and started on my 5th loop. Initially, I felt really drained, adding insult to injury was the headwind. It started to get more forceful now..Also, the sun has been up in the skies throughout my ride; I started to feel its effects..

I struggled to maintain my speed at 30km/h. It was then, the skies took pity on me and rain fell.. It was weird because throughout the entire 30km loop, some parts were raining and some parts not..hahas..but I'm not complaining, the rain somehow boosted me and I was hitting 30-33km/h all the way to the finish.

All in all, I completed the 180km in 6hrs 17mins. It was 4.41pm. I will recover for tomorrow's run at 4.30am, and then start the week fresh on Monday. =]

Attempt the difficult; attain the impossible.

No comments:

Latest Post

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

9th April, my second day in Johannesburg. I decided to explore the neighbourhood by running to the nearby Neighbourhood Square  which was ab...

Most Read