Friday, May 01, 2009

It is paying off!

Today, I did my first long bike ride in Desaru! =] The entire ride was 145km long inclusive of travelling to and fro Changi Ferry Terminal. For the entire 104km in Desaru, we met with all the elements: sun, wind and hills. Prior to this trip, I was in full anticipation to see whether or not my training programme was effective in battling the strong headwinds and steep hill climbs in Desaru as stated by many who have been there.

I took the first 15km in moderate pace and tried to maintain 30-35km/h while in the same time fighting off the temptation to catch the break away pack led by Lemin. I held on in the peloton. I realised something during most of my long distance trainings that patience is a very important virtue in endurance sports. You have to be very aware of your abilities and not over-push in the initial stages when you feel fresh and strong only to crash at the latter stages when you have nothing left in you to produce that final kick. Therefore, I held on.

In the subsequent 35km, I pushed the speed abit and was in the chase pack..throughout the entire ride, I made up my mind that I was going to try and take on whatever the elements threw at me. That meant simply no drafting and taking on the hills with good cadence even though at times my legs seem like they have no strength left in them.

After a short water break, we were back with the return leg of 35km. Initially, my legs felt really tired, but as I progressed into the ride, it loosened up and I was back in action =] Deciding to catch the break away duo, I worked with Lemin and Joshua in the chase pack. I felt pretty strong and decided to go for it, increasing the speed, taking on the hills as they came. This time, the winds decided to pay me a visit...The headwinds in Changi costal road was nothing compared to those in Desaru; my bike computer showed that my speed was decreasing even though I was cycling just as hard. I hang on to the course, delighted with the breeze that came. I needed this new friend, and I was determined to make it happen..

I kept at it and continued to push. There are times when the combo of direct headwinds and hills came to put an end to my pursuit, but I was glad that all the training done in Singapore has put me in good stead to overcome them. I ended the 35km feeling good and pushed to the limit. It was a very good ride.

After the seafood lunch, we made our way back to the jetty which was 15km away. I was determined to end this training on a high after Lemin gestured that we overtake those infront. Prior to his suggestion, I was hesitant to making that move out of respect for all the veterans who were so much more learned than us young punks. Somehow Lemin managed to stoke that fire in me..I broke out infront and made the break away with him. Soon, we were joined by the strongest cyclist in the entire trip who was consistently infront during the ride. He pushed the pace in an attempt to drop me. He succeeded and pulled away for a considerable distance. I looked at my bike computer and there was only 7km to go; I had almost nothing left in me. Not to mention, the strong headwinds were present. I was merely hanging on to complete the ride back to the jetty in a respectable manner.

Soon, I saw that the uncle infront had trouble with the strong headwinds. This was where friends matter.. I summoned whatever little that I had left and increased the speed to 33km/h. I could see him getting bigger and bigger. He was within striking distance. I timed my overtaking to coincide with a road hump and a slight downslope. He slowed down for the hump; I sped up for it, lifting myself off the saddle as I took on the hump and immediately paddled as hard as I can to drop him.

All that I had on my mind was to reach the jetty. There was only 4km left and the headwinds were still beating down on me. This was where I thought of the various rides in the early morning or late evening at Changi coastal road battling the headwinds. It has became my friend. As Jiajie puts it: During training, the wind is my enemy; during competition, it is my friend.

I ended off the ride on a high note and was very delighted =] All my training is indeed paying off!

I find the best shortcut is the long way, which is basically two words: work hard. – Randy Pausch

3 comments:

Jason Yip said...

Freaking AWESOME!!! glad u had a damn damn damn good ride!!! soon dude soon... JJ and I may be heading up next week...

Norman Lin said...

ahh!! wait for me can? we go together??

josh said...

so drama sia haha!

Latest Post

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

9th April, my second day in Johannesburg. I decided to explore the neighbourhood by running to the nearby Neighbourhood Square  which was ab...

Most Read