Thursday, May 14, 2009

Into the wind

Today saw the burden lessen with all heavy papers for my 1st Professional MBBS cleared. There is a final paper tomorrow where they give you specimens and you have to identify them and answer questions related to them.

I really feel that the examiners are expert mind-gamers (Jason, you pale in comparison). A neuroscience question in the physiology paper, no neuroscience questions in the neuroscience, head and neck and musculo-skeleton paper! There was also the physiology question in the anatomy paper too. Sometimes, you do know the answers to all those questions but you begin to doubt because the paper type was specifically told to you! Well..thankfully I answered to the best of my abilities..

After the paper today, I really craved for some sort of exercise. Ever since last friday's 21km run prior to church service (killer post on this after the exams), I have not done anything other than hardcore, insane mugging. Hence, I decided to swim today. The weather was good and I initially decided to do a 4km swim. However, something overcame me in the water and I decided to add 0.5km to the mileage. I completed 4.5km in 1hr 47mins in a comfortable, relaxing manner.

I felt really good to be back doing the things I love. I felt so at peace in the water today that I almost fell asleep! Sleep deprivation has had its toll on many many of my course-mates. I have heard stories of some of them sleeping during the examinations! Seriously man..all this studying is just to pass the examinations, let alone ace it! I have never experience something as BIG as this before. The 1st Professional MBBS examinations showed me the limits of my mugging capacity. It has never reached such frontiers before; I'm in unchartered waters (in my life).

Anyways, I had a mini-reflection during the swim today as I focused on my strokes and gliding technique. I realised that the more you struggle, the more you sink. That is the same for life. Chin Ee has been the latest to impact me with his words. Trust your brain. That was what he said prior to the paper on Tuesday. There is no point panicking and wallowing in past actions, look forward to the future where your actions might still be able to effect some sort of reaction.

I really have to thank all those (tagboard people) who have showed me encouragement after the paper yesterday. Thank you! Jason, who self-proclaimed to be my source of encouragement through my entire examination, your support has been really evident =] Nicolas, thanks for that phone call, it really made a heck of a difference brother! Not forgetting God who has never left me throughout this entire time even though I felt that He did; I was the one who moved, He didn't.

Lastly, I will end off with something the man of the moment, Chin Ee, texted me:

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.

No comments:

Latest Post

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

9th April, my second day in Johannesburg. I decided to explore the neighbourhood by running to the nearby Neighbourhood Square  which was ab...

Most Read